Thursday, May 19, 2011

For Liam. Love You, Dad

Hi Son,

Your mom woke me at 6 am this morning to feed you, which was a delight after it being your first night at home.

I’ve been thinking a lot about you - even before you were born, and wanted to let you know what was on my mind and in my heart.

Before you arrived, I had the deepest fears about being a dad.  I knew that I was having a son, but the idea of being someone’s daddy was overwhelming at best.  As soon as your mom went into labour, all of my worries evaporated away and left a new sense of purpose in my life that I would never know without you.

You will always be my son and I will always be your dad no matter what.

I’ve never loved someone as completely as I do you.  You are the reason I get up in the morning, the reason why I stay up late at night(thanks again :D) and you fill up my life in all the ways that it was lacking before.  I can’t imagine my life without you in it and I don’t know how I’ve ever survived so long without you.  You are the scariest thing that I have ever done, the greatest gift that your mother could have ever given me and you are the most spectacular thing that I will ever help to create.  You are my strength in this world and I only have to look at you to push past any obstacles.  I will always love you unconditionally with every moment in this world and the next, and I will do anything to protect you and help you in this life.  You will find that it can be a struggle to be a good man in this world and to know what’s right and what’s not, but you give me all the strength I need to be a good daddy for you.

In just a few days, I am surprised on the amount of things that I have learned from you and I thought that before I finished this letter that I would point out a few.  When you sneeze, you sneeze twice – no more, no less – always twice.  There is a special kind of dance that only I know how to get you to do that helps you burp when you’re gassy.  When you’re hungry, you smack your lips;  when you’re still hungry, you munch on your right fist(actually you do this constantly).  You like to kick when your diaper is being changed, and I seem to be the only one who changes them - mommy ‘assists’, because for some reason(that still boggles logic)I prefer to hog this responsibility.  The first daddy superpower that I learned was the ability to stop a stream of pee using only my bare hands.  You gurgle in what I like to think are ‘bird calls’.  I swear that since you were born you have said,”Hi.” on at least 5 different occasions – one of which your mother heard too.  You never cry in my arms and I like to boast to everyone about that.  You have monkey toes and I wonder if you will be a runner like your dad or perhaps choose to climb instead(seriously, your big toe articulates like a thumb dude – so cool).  When you’re quiet and you hear my voice, you look for me until you find me, turning your head in some moments(which is a feat in itself for a 4 day old).  I’m always looking for you.

I just can’t wait to see what I learn next son,

Love You, Dad

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Mike....Liam is very special to have loving parents to help him grow up and be a fine young man. Welcome to parenthood, it's the best most rewarding job in the world ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Sweet! Congrats again Mike, Liam is one lucky little boy to have such a wonderful Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I have to say that is the most beautiful thing I have ever read! Who knew that the man you have become would be so amazing! I knew there was a reason we were friends at camp - I must have rubbed off on you! HaHa. You have come a long way since Cdn Tire on Quinpool! ;) You will be an amazing father! Just know one thing, no matter how difficult some days and nights will be in the first year of Liam's life, the hardest is yet to come when he is three (not two)! Be consistent, be united with your wife, and stay calm - these are lessons, I am learning the hard way! Oh and if more babies are in your future, don't wait too long! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete